Richard Simpson back on his back yard gritstone to get the 6th ascent of Careless Torque at Stanage Plantation (Sheffield - UK).
Richard Simpson & Action
Alex Messenger /Moonclimbing
James Ibbotson on the lower moves of Careless Torque in 2005.
Ph: Alex Messenger
(Font 8A+.....E6/7 7a), the legendary arete established in 1987 by Mr Ron Fawcett on the left of "Not to be taken away", at Stanage (Sheffield - UK), received another ascent (the 6th) last Sunday by Richard Simpson
Ron Fawcett graded it a relatively lowly E6/7 7a
and the striking highball problem repelled all who attempted it for many years.
Before Saturday it had only 4 ascents: first Ron Fawcett, then John Dunne made a reported early repeat in 1989. Malcolm Smith (interview
) bagged it in cold conditions in December 2001, Andy Brown
was next in February 2004 and then John Welford
in February 2006.
All ascents to date, before Rich's one, have been after prior top roped practice of the upper arete. Richard Simpson did the first ascent it ground up without any pre-practice top-rope of the final moves.
Richard will now move to Spain for a two weeks roadtrip!
Stay tuned then, we are sure Rich has some projects in mind!!
More NEWS on Rich Simpson:
* Richard Simpson and his Action Directe: interview
* The pictures of Richard Simpson on Action Directe online NOW
* Unplugged for Richard Simpson
* Richard Simpson repeats Action Direct!!
* Stammina Band/Pump up the Power 8c+/9a for Richard Simpson
* 8b onsight for Richard Simpson
* Richard Simpson getting ready for Action Direct
* Hubble repeated by Richard Simpson!
* Moffat's 'Liquid Amber' repeated by Simpson